Massachusetts is well-known for its beautiful historic structures, and these charming homes and businesses do a great job of capturing the area’s unique Colonial feeling. But these old buildings weren’t created for the demands of today’s society and as a result, many home and business owners find themselves without enough electrical service to meet these modern needs. .
N.E.T.R., Inc.’s licensed and certified electricians can help.
What Happens When My Electrical Panel Is Full?
An electrical panel, also known as a breaker box, fuse box, or service panel, is the central point in your home or business where electrical circuits are connected and disconnected. The panel distributes power from your utility company to your circuits and houses the breaker switches or fuses that protect your building from electrical overloads.
Modern electrical services provide 200 AMPS of power for the home to use. Older systems provide 100 AMPS or sometimes only 60 AMPS. This often is not enough to power all the needs of modern living.
Worse yet, this sometimes leads to home owners overloading old panels. When this occurs your wiring can overheat and potentially burst into flames. Not only does an overloaded panel pose a safety risk, it can also cause your entire electrical system to become less efficient. When one or more parts aren’t working effectively, the others have to work harder, which causes your energy bills to skyrocket.
If you delay upgrading your electrical service and panel, you run the risk of continually overloading your circuits and causing electrical fires or damage to your property. You also risk damage to the appliances, computers, and other electrical devices that are connected to the circuit when an overload occurs.
Signs Your Electrical Service Or Panel Are Beyond Capacity
If you’re not an electrician, diagnosing problems with your power can be tricky. Fortunately, there are some common signs that your electrical panel may be full or overloaded. These warrant a call to a professional for an inspection:
- Not Enough Power To Serve Your Needs. Insufficient service (less than 200 AMPS) from the grid often leads to not having enough electrical capacity to serve all your home’s needs. This is a clear sign you need to upgrade your home’s service that extends from the pole all the way through your electrical panel.
- The smell of smoke or burning. A burning odor or smoke coming from your electrical panel may be an indication it has become overheated or that there’s an electrical fire.
- Flickering or dimming lights. Lights can flicker, dim, or even shut off when there isn’t enough electricity available to power everything in your home or workplace at once.
- Breakers that trip often or fuses that continue to blow. If your fuses blow or your breakers trip frequently, this may be a sign that there’s too much electricity flowing through the circuits. This is because the breakers and fuses are designed to flip or melt to interrupt the circuit and prevent damage in cases of power overload.
- An electrical sparking or a buzzing sound. A buzzing, humming, or sparking sound near your electrical panel can also indicate that there’s too much power flowing through your circuits and that additional circuits are needed to safely bear the load.
- Discolored switches or wires in your electrical panel. Discolored or burnt-looking wires, fuses, or switches in your panel are a good indicator that your circuits are overloaded and damaging the fuses or breakers protecting your home.
- Appliances that overheat. If your blow dryer or space heaters overheat frequently, this could be a sign that there’s too much power surging through the circuits and into the appliance.
Even if you’re not currently experiencing any problems with your electrical panel, you may want to consider an upgrade anyway if your building is very old or you plan on adding new appliances or electronics. Modern service at 200 AMPS will provide for your needs and the upgrade will help ensure your safety.
Upgrading your electrical service also has the potential to save you more money in the long run. Outdated or damaged electrical services use more energy, which results in higher energy bills. Newer services offer better efficiency and offer home and business owners significant ongoing cost savings.
How N.E.T.R., Inc.’s Licensed & Certified Electricians Can Help
N.E.T.R., Inc.’s licensed electrical contractors are experienced in performing electrical panel upgrades and can help you find the right solution to increase your building’s power load. Whether you’re on 100 AMP service upgrading to 200 AMP service, or a multifamily homeowner upgrading to 400 AMP service, our team of experts can assist you.
We work with the power company to bring more electricity from the pole to your home or business, so you can safely and effectively operate all of your appliances and electronics. Our work complies with all local building codes and electrical safety regulations to make sure your system is up-to-date and able to supply all of your power needs.
Plus, we offer competitive rates and the highest quality workmanship in the Massachusetts area. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you upgrade your electrical panel by dialing (781) 933-6387.
Serving the following areas:
- Metro Boston
- Metro West
- North Shore
- South Shore
- Southern New Hampshire