Do your old appliances, heating system, cooling system, or water heater need to be replaced? Are you paying too much for your heating and air conditioning costs? With so many things draining your bank account, you don’t want to pay more than you need to in utility costs, and if you’re concerned about your carbon footprint, you probably don’t want to waste energy unnecessarily.
However, it can be expensive to replace your existing inefficient appliances or heating and cooling systems. If you’re in that situation, you will be happy to know that Massachusetts has a great rebate program that may help defer the cost of replacing your old appliances, heaters, and more. Check out the details below:
What Is Mass Save?
Massachusetts oil and gas companies, including Berkshire Gas, Blackstone Gas Company, Cape Light Compact, Columbia Gas of Massachusetts, Eversource, Liberty Utilities, National Grid, and Unitil have collaborated together to make energy efficient upgrades available to communities, businesses, and residents in Massachusetts. The group offers a wide range of training programs, information, incentives, services, and rebates.
The rebate program is funded by a service charge on customers’ energy bills, and it is administered by electric and gas sponsors that work closely with the Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources. The goal is to help residents of Massachusetts save energy and money. This joint collaboration has helped Massachusetts become the most energy efficient state in the nation according to the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy (ACEEE).
What Kind of Rebates are Available?
To determine your eligibility for refrigerator and clothes washer rebates, Mass Save requires a home site visit. To learn more or schedule an appointment, you can contact Mass Save directly by calling 866-527-7283. If you live in the Cape Cod area, you should reach out to Cape Light Compact at 800-797-6699. When you replace appliances or HVAC systems, you can look forward to the following potential rebates as of 2018:
- Clothes Washer – Up to $400 rebate
- Electric Clothes Dryer – Up to $50 rebate
- Dehumidifier – Up to $30 rebate
- Single Room Air Conditioner – Up to $40 rebate
- Thermostat – Up to $100 rebate
- Refrigerator – Up to $200 rebate
- Gas Water Heater – Up to $800 rebate
- Propane Water Heater – Up to $600 rebate
- Oil Water Heater – Up to $500 rebate
- Electric Heat Pump Water Heater – Up to $750 rebate
- Gas Boiler Reset Control – Up to $225 rebate
- Gas Heating Systems (Furnaces and Boilers) – Up to $1600 rebate
- Gas Heat Recovery Ventilator – Up to $500 rebate
- Oil Heating System (Furnaces and Boilers) – Up to $500 rebate
- Oil/Propane Boiler Reset Control – Up to $100 rebate
- Propane Heating System (Furnaces and Boilers) – Up to $2500 rebate
- Electric Mini-Split Heat Pump – Up to $300 rebate
- Electric Central Heat Pump – Up to $500 rebate
- Electric Central Air Conditioning – Up to $250 rebate
Early Heating and Cooling Replacement
The Early Heating and Cooling Replacement program has very specific qualification requirements, but the rebates are much higher. To qualify, you must also have a home site visit to assess eligibility, but for the early air conditioner or heat pump rebates, you can schedule an appointment with an AC Check Trained Contractor instead of working directly with Mass Save.
To get these rebates, your system must meet the following specifications:
- 30+ year old boiler
- 12+ year old boiler
- 12+ year old central air conditioning system
- 12+ year old central heat pump
As of 2018, if you meet the above requirements, you may qualify for these rebates:
- Oil Heating Systems (Furnaces and Boilers) – Up to $1900 rebate
- Propane Heating Systems (Furnaces and Boilers) – Up to $3250 rebate
- Gas Heating Systems (Furnaces and Boilers) – Up to $3250 rebate
- Electric Central Air Conditioning or Central Heat Pump – Up to $1000 rebate
How Do You Apply for These Rebates?
Applying for these rebates is easy. You can either go online to www.masssave.com/rebates and fill out the online form, or you can download the mail-in form. The form is fairly simple to fill out. You need your personal info and energy account info, and you may also need to upload supporting documentation.
Generally, it takes approximately six to eight weeks to process your application. Make sure your form is completely filled out to avoid any delays in processing. When you purchase a ductless heating or cooling system through N.E.T.R., we can also help you learn more about this program.
There are also rebates available for commercial equipment. For instance, you can get $1000 back on Commercial Gas Kitchen Equipment. There are also programs for Commercial Gas Heating Equipment and Controls. Check the website for more information on these programs, or contact us at N.E.T.R.
At N.E.T.R., we have been helping residential and commercial clients upgrade their heating and cooling systems to more efficient options for years. We would love to help you. To set up an appointment, ask questions about ductless systems, or learn more about potential rebates, contact us directly.