An air conditioner can cost anywhere from $150 to $7,500 or more. The cost varies depending on the type of AC, the BTUs you need, and a variety of other factors. A window AC is the cheapest option, while central AC and ductless mini splits are on the higher end of the spectrum.
Cost of a Window and Wall-Mounted ACs
Window and wall-mounted ACs are the cheapest options. They cost between $150 and $600, and in some cases, you can even find free old ACs on online marketplaces. The installation costs are also relatively negligible. You can install a window AC on your own, and nearly any contractor can cut a hole in your wall for a wall-mounted AC.
The main advantage of these units is their cost. If you want something cheap and easy to cool down a room in your home, a window AC is often your best bet.
However, in exchange for convenience and low prices, you get a noisy inefficient unit. These units are generally unsightly because they stick out of the side of your home. They also don’t have good drainage systems. Their condensation often ends up damaging the outer walls of your home. The longer you have the unit, the bigger this risk tends to get.
On average central AC costs $5,600. However, it ranges between $3,800 and $7,500. These costs only include the equipment and installation. If you need to add ductwork to your home, the cost will be considerably higher.
If you have ductwork, it’s usually relatively straightforward to add central AC to your home. If you don’t have ductwork, central AC can be cost-prohibitive. Even if you’re comfortable with the cost, the installation process will be long and messy.
Central AC can keep your entire home cool, while window ACs can only cool a single room. Unfortunately, with central AC, you risk losing cool air in the ducts. This reduces the efficiency of your system. You also have to keep the entire home at the same temperature. This increases operating costs, but it also compromises your comfort levels.
Adding a ductless mini split air conditioner to your home costs about the same as central AC. However, the exact cost can vary based on the size of your home and the type of equipment that you select. For instance, the cost of a ceiling-mounted AC mini split is usually more than the cost of a wall-mounted unit.
Additionally, if you decide to add heat, you will spend more. However, in most cases, you’ll end up with a more efficient heating solution that saves you money on your energy bills. You can add standard heat that supplements your existing system, or you can opt for hyper heat which can be your home’s sole source of heat.
For most people, the only downside to ductless AC is its cost. If you’re on a very tight budget, a window AC may be your only option. However, it will cost more to run than a ductless unit.
Ductless AC offers a host of benefits including the following:
- Optional heat — As explained above, you can opt for only AC or you can add heat to your mini split.
- No ductwork — You can easily add a mini split to your home whether you have ductwork or not.
- More consistent temperatures — Central ACs power on and off repeatedly during the day. Ductless ACs, in contrast, maintain a consistent temperature in your home.
- Quiet operation — The indoor AC units only generate about as much noise as rustling leaves.
- Advanced filtration — This improves your indoor air quality.
- Dehumidification options — The dehumidification setting can be very helpful in basements or wet climates.
- Reduced carbon footprint — The efficiency of mini splits helps to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Zoned thermostats — When you put in a ductless AC, each unit is its own zone. You can adjust the settings on your thermostat so that you don’t waste energy cooling unused zones. You can also customize each zone based on occupant preferences.
Whether you want to put ductless ACs throughout your whole home or just in a single room, you get to enjoy comfort and energy efficiency.
The summers are getting hotter in North Andover and the Greater Boston area. Want your home to be more comfortable? Want to get a quote on different AC options? Then, contact us today.
At NETR, Inc, we work closely with our clients to customize solutions that meet their needs. We look forward to helping you enjoy the summer in comfort.